I strive to review all the FABULOUS children’s literature (specifically, “chapter books”) that my children and I are reading/have read…but since I am starting this website about 5 years into my adventures in reading aloud to my oldest child (who is, at the writing of this, 9yrs old…and my youngest is now 5yrs and just now having the attention span to sit and listen along finally…Meaning I now can share my deep love of good literature with both my children at once…something I’m finding just fabulous!)…and about 34 years after I myself started reading them (and I was a HUGE book worm as a child, so I cannot even begin to review all the books I myself read…although I remember many of my favorites and find them to share with my children)…This is a very daunting task. And many of you may not have the patience to wait for all the reviews to come…And perhaps would prefer a quick list to peruse for a new (high quality, potentially new favorite) read.
So here is a quick list of the authors and book series that I can say off the top of my head are my current favorites and I would HIGHLY recommend for children of the chapter book reading age (either reading to themselves or being read aloud to.)
These are my ABSOLUTE FAVORITES, and I will add to this list as I think of or discover more, so bookmark this page and refer back often! 🙂
- The Septimus Heap series, by Angie Sage
- The Chrestomanci series, by Diana Wynne Jones
- The Emily Windsnap series and also the Philippa Fisher Series, by Liz Kessler
- The Mysterious Benedict Society Series, by Trenton Lee Stewart
- The Penderwicks Series, by Jeanne Birdsall
- Anything by Zilpha Keatley Snyder (haven’t read them all yet, but read a lot of them and every one of them is AMAZING so far!)
- The Miss Bianca Series, by Margery Sharp
- Anything by Heather Dyer
- The Fairy Realm Series by Emily Rodda
- The Frog Princess Series & The Dragon Princess Series by E.D. Baker
- more to come!