oh my heavens, i cannot tell you how happy it feels to have that damned big room DONE! the carpet/linoleum went in today.
here’s a rundown of what’s left now:
- finish linoleum (carpet guy was missing what was needed to properly complete covering the steps today)
- buy/install can light covers (14 of them)
- get contractor to plane the french doors (they are snug to the carpet now, but he knew that would happen)
- buy/get contractor to install new backyard lights (we’ve been without those nearly as long as we’ve been without the big rm!)
- buy/install new blinds for 3 windows/1 sliding glass door in big rm
- paint 1 more coat on the laundry room door chalkboard (i had to sand some big bumps off a big chunk in the middle)
- install the doorknob on the laundry room door
- buy/install doorknobs for french doors
- get contractor to install light switch plates since the switches are not lined up properly with the plates
- install the final 2 outlet covers (we were 2 short, had to buy more…i have them now, just haven’t done it)
- cut small mat out of remnant carpet to use at the sliding glass door for wiping feet
- get exterior mat for wiping feet (its berry season…our mulberry tree is wreaking havoc on the driveway again)
after that, and after we’ve had time to pay some on the massive credit card bill we now have….sigh
then i want to get started building the window seats and shelves for the reading/play area. not to mention i’m still not entirely certain what i want to do in the art area. working on that. the table i was planning on using is just massive and i’m thinking twice now because the room is small enough. i have little tables i can get new legs for but they are $60 for a set of 4 and i might find something better for cheaper somewhere….something prettier….have to think on that too. hm.
then there’s the reading loft i really want to build as well. not sure it will now fit properly in the room where i had envisioned it so that is the bottom of my wish list right now. but still in the back of my mind.
BUT, we can now start to bring furniture into the room and setting stuff up!
unfortunately, the rest of the house is so crammed and trashed right now its going to take quite awhile to get to the point where i am feeling comfortable in my own home again. the kitchen alone makes me want to gag. the floor is beyond disgusting. but since so many people were in and out and in and out and in and out of my house for the past month there didn’t seem much sense in bothering to clean it since it would just get trashed again. ok so most were not in my kitchen, but the kids and i were spending a lot of time going in and out watching all that was going on, so probably it most came from our feet. its nasty, don’t even ask.
i seriously am at a loss as to where to start. but instead of overthinking things….i’m going to just dig in and do one thing at a time, as my dad taught me. trying not to think of all that needs doing, and just focus on one job at a time. tomorrow i think i will get the kitchen straightened up so that we can move adam’s desk through there into his new office. that will seriously open back up the living room again. which will allow me to breathe again, i think. i can’t handle the clutter. its really affecting me physically and i am eager to fix that.
tonight i’ve been looking at all the clutter that i need to take care of…my desk in particular…but now we have a shitload of painting supplies and other things that we’ve been using for that room that i need to organize and find a home for. sigh its going to be a BIG job. i need to figure out where its all going to go!
tomorrow i’ll start figuring that out. for now, i need to get my kids ready for bed. and wake up my husband to help.